Job Title: Protection Manager (National Only)
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Adamawa, Nigeria
The International Rescue Committee has been in Nigeria since October 2012 and came in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner, Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication (CISCOPE), implemented projects to support food security, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH in Kogi State. Beginning of January 2014, IRC shifted geographical location to the North East, in Adamawa state to provide humanitarian response to the conflict-affected populations. In the North East, IRC has three operational offices: Yola and Mubi field offices in Adamawa state and Maiduguri field office in Borno state-with the latter office opened in October 2015. In both states, IRC is providing humanitarian support to internally displaced populations hosted in IDP camps, camp like settings, host communities and returnee populations. Both Adamawa and Borno states have a combined IDP population of 1,658,030 people.
The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
SCOPE OF WORK
The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring strengthening of community based protection structures, capacity building, protection monitoring, information dissemination and referral services. The IRC will also building capacity of government authorities, local organizations and local communities around protection mainstreaming and protection monitoring. The IRC will also include legal assistance and counselling services. The protection program is currently implemented in the NE states of Adamawa and Borno.
Reporting to the Protection Coordinator, the Protection Manager will be responsible for overall implementation of protection related activities including design, technical oversight, capacity building and supervision of Protection staff within his/her area of jurisdiction and will ensure that all Protection projects in his/her area of jurisdiction run smoothly by providing technical leadership, supervising, training and mentoring staff, and coordinating the implementation of Protection activities. The Protection Manager will contribute to the IRC Protection program and proposal development and will play an active role in establishing and managing relationships with local partners, humanitarian actors, state authorities, beneficiaries and local/traditional leaders and contribute to the achievement of the IRC Nigeria vision 2020 goals.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities
Assessment and Program Planning
- Contribute to Protection sector and IRC assessments, ensuring adherence to safety and ethical recommendations.
- Ensure that Protection staff conduct needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction as well as identify risks and vulnerabilities, including those related to gender, age and diversity.
- Ensure that Protection staff successfully assess protection needs; identify problems/gaps and proposing or prioritize timely practical actions to respond to particular protection problems.
- Lead the compilation and analysis of protection monitoring information and reports for sharing with partners and donors in close coordination with the Reporting and Database Assistants.
- Support Senior Protection Officers, Protection Officers and other Protection staff to plan and conduct protection monitoring activities in all target areas.
- Contribute to the development of Protection sector concepts or proposals as requested.
Program management and activities implementation
- Provide a strategic direction of the Protection program in area of jurisdiction through strategic planning and development of strategic documents
- Providing oversight of Protection projects in compliance with IRC and donor regulations while upholding project cycle management standards
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements and IRC’s administrative, logistical, and financial procedures.
- Develop and execute work plans, financial forecast, procurement plans and related systems to ensure that project deadlines are met and targets achieved.
- Oversee annual, monthly and weekly implementation plan development, and internal and external reporting, in participation with Protection team members.
- Supervise the delivery of quality protection activities and services within IRC’s areas of intervention and ensure smooth administrative and operational functioning, including oversight for targeted individual assistance, referrals, capacity building etc
- Create and ensure synergy between the Protection sector and other IRC sectors
- Ensure the delivery of Targeted Individual Assistance packages to most vulnerable individuals.
- Support the Capacity Building and Training Officer in the design and development training and IEC materials.
- Contribute to the development of Protection sector specific strategic plan and strategies.
- Develop a strategy for community-based protection, community engagement, information dissemination, capacity building and protection monitoring activities.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
- Work with the Reporting and Database Assistant and Coordinate with the M&E team in developing monitoring systems and providing internal and external reports on program activities; for internal learning and appropriate program adjustments due to new opportunities/challenges.
- In coordination with the Protection Coordinator, Reporting and Database Assistant, develop and harmonize monitoring and evaluation tools used by the Protection teams.
- Monitor project/program quality through strengthening data collection, reporting, accountability initiatives and documenting the impact of IRC presence in the field.
Team Management & Capacity Building
- Recruit, train, and mentor Protection staff including in areas such as protection monitoring, reporting, community based approaches and community mobilization techniques.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support to the IRC Protection staff through regular supervision and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the roll out of regular staff trainings and refresher sessions to maintain a high standard of capacity among the protection field teams in all areas.
- Set clear objectives for the Protection staff under his/her supervision and do timely performance appraisal.
Coordination & Representation
- Actively participate in state-level coordination meetings and network with different stakeholders and partners to ensure information sharing, coordination of interventions and enable meaningful intervention.
- Represent the IRC protection program at the Protection Sector Working Group meeting (PSWG) and other relevant coordination forums for protection advocacy.
- Promote relations and coordinate activities with other humanitarian actors, donors, UN, and civil authorities and other key stakeholders at the state level on the provision of protection services for IDPs.
- Take lead in state level advocacy in consultation with the Protection Coordinator and other IRC staff and participate in IRC Nigeria advocacy initiatives.
- Promote improved understanding of protection issues among all relevant stakeholders through information sharing, awareness creation and capacity building initiatives.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure full compliance with IRC and donor financial guidelines and policies.
- Monitor budgets to ensure the timely utilization of all resources, spending is in line with project timelines and implementation schedules and adjust budget forecasts when needed.
- Take lead in developing monthly spending plans and cash projections.
- Ensure that all Protection staff timely liquidate all requested project/program funds.
Procurement and Security
- Develop procurement plans and coordinate with the Supply Chain team for the delivery of items to the field as per project planning.
- Ensure compliance with the IRC security protocols, SOPs and policies.
- Consider security implications of all program activities, reviewing all new initiatives with Protection staff, IRC Security Officer, other IRC staff and community leaders.
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics among the Protection staff.
- Maintain a clear understanding of IRCs’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
- Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
- Professional background in protection of internally displaced persons and/or refugees, as well as human rights law in general.
- University degree in law, social sciences, social work other relevant field of study or equivalent experience (bachelor’s degree as a minimum)
- Minimum of 3 years of protection work or programming experience particularly within the field of IDP protection including responding to identified protection needs.
- Familiarity with standards and guidelines for protection programming and coordination structures.
- Relevant regional (i.e. north eastern Nigeria) experience strongly preferred.
- Proven track-record in understanding International Law and Humanitarian Principles.
- Proven experience with implementation of operations in very insecure environments.
- Experience with protection monitoring, documentation & analysis of protection data, protection.
- Ability to manage teams – especially field teams in a challenging environment
- Demonstrated aptitude in project design, management and implementation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with different stakeholders
- Coordination and advocacy skills is essential.
- Strong, creative problem-solving skills
- Flexibility to work in a diverse multicultural team with due respect for diverse culture and norms
- Ability and willingness to live and work in an unstable, insecure and challenging environment.
- Ability to draft written protection reports, lead assessments and analyze data.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, to remain flexible to a changing environment, and to make decisions independently.
- Strong computer skills require (MS word and excel).
- Strong English language skills, knowledge of the local langue will be an added advantage.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions from Senior Management team, counterparts, government representatives and others.
Application Closing Date
Click Page 2 Below To Apply On Next Page